The Cefic sustainability report is a first step towards achieving the vision approved at the highest level of the European chemical industry. It has come about through the recognition that we have not only the capability but also the responsibility to address societal challenges of sustainability such as energy, water, raw materials or, more broadly, resource efficiency.
Our report is also a significant step in strengthening the dialogue with key stakeholders and meeting their expectations. It aims to provide solid data on the European chemical industry’s performance to date – hence a benchmark against which it will measure itself in future – and an overview of its contributions to sustainability.
The report thus covers:
- A review of the European chemical industry’s performance over time against standard Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), under the three traditional pillars of economic development, social development and environmental protection:
- Planet: from emission reductions and waste management through to energy efficiency
- People: from employee safety through to employment and labour productivity
- Profit: from added value and trade competitiveness through to R&D spending and investment.
These KPIs are a powerful tool to help the industry identify opportunities for improvement.
- The importance of smart legislation and industry voluntary efforts.
- Examples of innovative and leading-edge products and initiatives from companies and sectors in the areas of energy and climate change mitigation, food and water, mobility and housing.
- The role of innovation in addressing the challenges and opportunities of the future.
We are in no doubt that sustainability is not an option but an absolute necessity, not only for the European chemical industry, but for all businesses and society as a whole. We hope that this report will stimulate a genuine dialogue on what can be achieved if we leverage joint strengths in industry, academia, government and society at large. More than ever before, success depends on a new spirit of cooperation and a set of shared objectives and values.
Download Cefic sustainability report 2011-2012 : "The Chemical Industry in Europe Towards Sustainability".
Download "The Chemical Industry in Europe Towards Sustainability" Executive Summary.